Revealed: McGrath’s top 2018 picks
FHBA Property Market Update 4/December/2017
Every year John McGrath, founder of McGrath Estate Agents, releases the McGrath Report which includes analysis on the property market and John McGrath’s predictions for the period ahead. Today we take a look at McGrath’s 2018 predictions.
Important: Please note, we are aware that these areas are not all priced suitably for typical first home budgets. Further, we (FHBA) and McGrath do not take any responsibility for you choosing to act on McGrath’s ‘opinions’. We recommend you seek your own advice before making any purchasing decisions. Speak to an FHBA Coach for details.
McGrath’s Top 5 Greater Brisbane Picks
- North Lakes
- Peregian Springs
McGrath’s Top 5 Melbourne Picks
- Pascoe Vale
- West Footscray
- Doncaster East
McGrath’s Top 5 Sydney Picks
- Breakfast Point
- Cronulla Beach
McGrath’s Top Regional Picks
- Ballarat, Victoria
- Geelong, Victoria
- Newcastle, NSW
- Toowoomba, Queensland (which is also our current ‘hotspot in focus‘ location!)
- Wollongong, NSW
Other predictions by McGrath
Do you want to see other predictions by McGrath, or perhaps you want to read the insights into how these predictions were formed? The full 44 page McGrath Report 2018 is available to download now for free at www.mcgrath.com.au/mcgrath-report.
Enjoy the rest of your weekly FHBA Property Market Update.
New Homes of the Week (edition 83)
Introducing our top five picks for First Home Owner Grant* (FHOG) (& FHBA 50 Rebate) eligible properties for this week. There are some stunning first home buyer properties in this weeks pics (and when we mean stunning, we mean the look of the home and the value!).
|New home of the week||State FHOG*||FHBA 50 Rebate*||View Property|
|New South Wales||$10,000||$8,000||See property|
|South Australia||$15,000||$5,250||See property|
|Western Australia||$10,000||$5,700||See property|
Did you know??
Our FHBA New Homes service can help you compare thousands of new home options from a large variety of property developers and agencies (including house & land packages, apartments, townhouses, duplexes, terraces and more)? Not to mention, we are the only service to offer the FHBA 50 Rebate on top of the First Home Owners Grant*! Don’t be shy, say g’day to us so we can help you with your search to find your unique slice of the great Australian dream today! G’day!
Interest Rates Update: 4/December/2017
Last week the Coalition Government announced that there will be a Royal Commission into the banks (as well as some other financial institutions). The Australian Financial Review has prepared a story on whether the Royal Commission will put upward pressure on interest rates – see the article here.
Tomorrow the Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) board will meet for the last time in 2017 to review the cash rate. The Australian Stock Exchange (ASX) Rate Indicator showed on the 30th of November that no change is expected to the RBA official cash rate on the 5th of December. Stay tuned to FHBA News for the RBA’s decision, including insights around their decision and what could be in-store for interest rates in 2018.
Current hotspot in focus: ‘The Garden City’
Every fortnight we take a closer look at an area in Australia that is popular with first home buyers. Our new ‘hotspot in focus’, the beautiful Toowoomba (nicknamed the ‘Garden City’) of Australia’s sunshine state , Queensland:
- Where is Toowoomba? Toowoomba is located approximately 125km west from Brisbane CBD and is 90km from Ipswich
- What is the median property price of Toowoomba? Houses – $350,000. Apartments – $308,000 (APM Data)
- What is the current population of Toowoomba? Approximately 161,000
- Why is Toowoomba considered a hotspot for first home buyers? Click here to learn more about Toowoomba and it’s popularity
Not interested in Toowoomba? See previous ‘hotspots in focus’ here
Capital City Property Price Movements: 4/December/2017
Updated daily, the CoreLogic Daily Home Value Index shows how property prices have been changing in our largest capital cities over the last 12 months. Over the last 3 months, Sydney property values have fallen 1.5%. This is most welcoming following such a long period of high growth Elsewhere, Perth is starting to show signs of growth after a lengthy sluggish period where property values have been declining.
|Capital City Index Score||3 months % Change||Yearly % Change|
|Adelaide: 113.29||+ 0.1%||+ 3.4%|
|Brisbane: 109.37||+ 0.4%||+ 2.7%|
|Melbourne: 157.35||+ 1.9%||+ 10.0%|
|Perth: 95.45||+ 0.4%||– 2.5%|
|Sydney: 174.40||– 1.5%||+ 4.7%|
Preliminary Weekend Auction Clearance Rates (2 – 3 December 2017)
(Melbourne appears to be following Sydney’s falling auction clearance rate direction. Source: CoreLogic)
More First Home Buyer News
- Sydney investors down, first home buyers up – On the weekend FHBA Co-Founder Daniel Cohen told The New Daily that while changes in the Sydney market have been ‘encouraging’, more needs to be done to level the playing field between investors and first home buyers – read Daniel’s thoughts, as well as other experts, on The New Daily website
- Would abolishing negative gearing help first home buyers – Have you ever wondered what would happen to property prices if Labor won government and introduced a policy to end negative gearing on established properties? SQM Research recently tackled this thought – see SQM’s analysis in FHBA News
- Even property owners are happy to see property prices take a breather! – An amazing 37% of Australians want to see lower house prices, according to a survey of 1500 Australians by ME Bank, including 24% who own a home and 20% with an investment property! – see why on Domain
A quick look at what’s trending on our social media pages – make sure you have your say!
#QLD #FHBANewHome of the week! How about this #cute #firsthome option only 14km’s from the #Brisbane CBD? Contact us for more info!
3 Likes, 1 Comments – First Home Buyers Australia (@fhba_firsthomebuyersaustralia) on Instagram: “#QLD #FHBANewHome of the week! How about this #cute #firsthome option only 14km’s from the…”
At #FHBA we have always said that first home buyers are NOT greedy @_chriskohler @Domaincomau @Westpac #greatAustraliandream #ausproperty #aushousing #millenials https://t.co/lkL218wEa4
Missed a previous FHBA Market Update? Click here to catch up now
First Home Buyers Australia
Wan to buy your first home soon? Organise a FREE FHBA Discovery Session with an FHBA Coach today
Jessica Irvine’s diary of a first home buyer – week 11