2017 New Years Resolution Part 3: Learn More About Buying A Property
Special New Years Resolution 3 Part Series: Buy My First Home
THE start of a new year brings so much promise. It is a time that many people choose to reflect on their previous year and think about what they want to achieve in the coming year. Some people think about it longer and harder than others, but most of us at least have a think about it.
For many younger generations buying their first home is a common goal. Some are closer than others to achieving this goal. Whether your goal is to learn more about property, save a deposit, or buy your first home, this special New Years Resolution 3 part series has got you covered.
Disclaimer: Please note our website, including this special series, is in no shape or form designed to replace the need to obtain professional advice from experts such as Financial Planners. All information on our website is general & factual in nature and should not be solely relied upon. In particular, we wish to remind you that the information in this article is not designed to replace financial, property, borrowing or taxation advice. We always recommend you speak to a licensed professional. Please visit our website’s Terms & Conditions for more information.
Is your goal to learn more about buying / owning a property in Australia in 2017?
To help you get the most out of this special series, we have broken it up into three parts:
- Part 1: Save a home deposit – for those who want to start saving a deposit.
- Part 2: Buy your first home – for those who have nearly finished saving a deposit and want to buy their first home this year.
- Part 3: Learn more about owning property – for anyone aspiring to buy their first home one-day (in 2017 or later). See below.
Part 3: Learning about buying a home in Australia
It really goes without saying, Australians love property. Owning your own home has the well-known tag line “great Australian dream”. Unforunately for younger generations, owning your own slice of the great Australian dream has never been more expensive. Yet, many of us are still inspired to achieve this one day. We just aren’t exactly sure about how and when we will achieve it.
A great place to start, other than work on saving a deposit (covered in Part 1 of our New Years Resolution series) is to simply learn more about property and owning a home in Australia. Here are some simple tips you can follow to start learning more about property from today.
- Read property news – Ok, reading property related news might not sound like the funniest part of your day, but we have put it at the top of our list for a reason. The dynamics of the property market are always changing. Yes the fudamentals have not changed to much over the years, but property prices are always moving and laws surrounding buying a property and home ownership are also ever changing. If you want to be a property buyer one-day you want to be up to date with the latest info. We recommend Domain, realestate.com.au and our very own FHBA News for property news relevant to first timers.
- Attend property seminars and expos – There are many property seminars and expos across Australia each year. You need to be careful though, not all are reputable and some are even scams. We will be running our own events later in 2017, but in the mean time we recommend you follow us on Facebook, as that is where we will post information about other property expos that we think are helpful for first home buyers.
- Search property websites – Another great way to learn about property is to simply search properties for sale, properties sold and property data, to gain an understanding of different property prices in various areas, as well as how much different types of properties cost. Our top 3 website picks for conducting this type of search: Domain, On The House and realestate.com.au.
- Read our property tips – Last year we wrote dozens of articles on tips for aspiring first home buyers. We have saved them in our blog for you to look back on and read in 2017. Check them out here!
- Learn about Government assistance for first home buyers – You have probably heard before that there is a ‘government thing’ called the First Home Owners Grant (referred to as the FHOG). However, what you may not know is that the FHOG is a state policy, which means each state has a different FHOG amount. Each state also has different eligibility rules. You can learn more about the FHOG, the eligibility criteria and other forms of Government assistance for first home buyers in your area through our free FHBA Grant Info Hub.
- Join our FHBA VIP Club – If tips 1 – 5 above seem to hard or time consuming right now at the very least you should join our FHBA VIP Club. It is free to join for all aspiring first home buyers and comes with plenty of news, tips and market insights to help you gradually start increasing your property knowledge. Join the FHBA VIP Club now for free (and in under 60 seconds!)
Go on, give these tips a try, don’t find anymore excuses to delay your learning of Australian property matters!
FHBA Coach’s specialise in providing mentorship and guidance to aspiring first home buyers across Australia. If you are feeling a little unsure about something or have any questions please book in a complimentary phone chat with one of our friendly FHBA Coach’s. We are here to help you with your great Australian dream, every step of the way!